Sunday, February 6, 2011

No Talking...?

I found that attempting to only communicate by means of drawings with a white board was probably the most difficult thing I have ever done in my entire life.  No one could understand what I was trying to say.  I would attempt to draw what I wanted to tell them, but it would fail miserably, especially if the person you were trying to have a conversation with also could not talk.  We would both draw sad pictures back and forth and not know at all what the other person meant.  You would almost need a translator to help you out, someone who could actually talk and guess what you were drawing.  It was almost impossible to get the full meaning of what you want to say by just drawing or simply acting it out.  Neil Postman is trying to explain this to his reader.  Your message is only as good as how you can communicate it.  If you can only communicate with a drawing or by puffs of smoke, no one will truly understand your point.  I will most likely never ever be able to do that again and ended up slipping up a lot anyways. Worst day ever.

7 comments:

  1. It was soo much harder to "talk" with another person who also couldn't talk. If they didn't understand your picture, they couldn't really ask about it. Or they might actually misunderstand your drawings totally. I loved Spanish class though<3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Kendra's point that communicating in this way made it nearly impossible to get your point across. It was too hard to express yourself when limited to illustrating or acting out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree a translator was nessasry with alomsot every conversation, and when your not an amazing artist everything was worse. "Worst day ever." YUP.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed it was a very hard day for everyone. It was really hard also to communicate to people who could not talk to. Also i also almost slipped up allot through out my day too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Worst day ever? Ouch! It was so quiet in class it was one of my best days. WWNPD?

    ReplyDelete
  6. "We would both draw sad pictures back and forth and not know at all what the other person meant. You would almost need a translator to help you out, someone who could actually talk and guess what you were drawing."

    HAHA this happened to us during sewing. Maybe a reason that you had such a hard time with this is because you are a horrible drawer. I suggest taking an art class next year. My mistake, taking ANOTHER art class next year. But you have to admit, it was really funny having Katt guess what we were drawing. And when she helped clear up what I was drawing to you.. if you remember..... Anyways, I like how you said that your message is only as good as how you communicate it. But I disagee with it being the worst day ever because in my opinion, it's one of the days I'll remember about Junior year when it's all over!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't really read your post but I just wanted to say how I enjoyed our conversations at our lockers. Very difficult, but we managed even though we looked like idiots. No big deal.

    ReplyDelete